Ewaste 2

Last week’s blog entry was on the planning of a PBL activity on Battling E-Waste. This time, I will talk about how it was implemented through a weekly journal of events.

Week 1: Project Description, Problem Analysis and Brainstorming
During the first week of the PBL activity, I discussed to my students the project description and the final output (an infographic and a campus-wide campaign). I like it whenever my students have the “end” in mind. I want them to be assured that all the efforts that they do will largely contribute to the culmination of the project.

When I introduced the concept of e-waste, I divided the class into groups of four members each. Without using the Internet or books, I told them to answer the following questions as a group:
What is e-waste? Why are they considered waste?
Is e-waste harmful to environment? If yes, in what ways are they harmful?
As a high school student, what are the things that you can do to help reduce the e-waste in your community?

After answering the questions, we conducted a fish bowl exercise. I divided the class into two groups: one group discussed their answers to the question then the other group just observed. The two groups switched roles after every question.

IMG_6606

During the first week, I also told the students to assign roles for each of their team members. One student acted as team leader, another student played the role of the head designer and the remaining two students were content managers.

10842311_541351319341000_2834670830422319434_o

Week 2: Brainstorming and Designing

On the second week, the students designed critters. These critters are originally drawn caricatures that served as the symbols for the campaign. Each group designed four critters. The critters should be distinct from each other yet they have to be coordinated through a repetitive element. For instance, a team designed their critters as ninjas so their critters had cloth bands on their foreheads.

10915223_533923920083350_3790597752712121382_n

10922512_533923930083349_3733193644400787641_n

10918999_533923953416680_6079276922667771446_n

10922474_533923970083345_1785231498385632180_n

Then, I gave a lecture on infographics and why information is mostly graphically represented these days and why information is packaged that way. The critters were placed in the infographic that they created.

As for the building of the content, the students used Google drive and Google docs. I asked the students to start the content by creating an outline of topics to be discussed. The groups used the research tool of Google docs to support the content creation. The Google docs file were shared with me so I can leave comment or suggestion.

docs

To track the progress of the students and to make sure that they really perform the tasks given to them, I used Class Dojo. Every meeting, points were given to the students whenever they have accomplished the required tasks and some points were deducted if the students are off of task.

doj

Week 3: Brainstorming and Designing (Continuation)
After designing the critters, it was time to convert the drawings into a vector graphic. This was the primary role of the head designer. Aside from skillfully using the pen tool to create the digital graphic version of the critter, the group had to strategically choose the right color combination of the critters.

11063617_795918417151569_478569335183399895_o

10857237_740350052747739_4554013334617337239_o

An additional task was to create the layout of the infographic poster. The head designer coordinated with the content manager for the allocation of space for the content. During the third week, the content managers continued the content creation and edited the project based on the teacher’s comments.

In this phase, the team leaders were asked to conduct another brainstorming sessions with the members to decide on the name of their campaign. Creative titles were generated through the process such as: E-Waste: Grabbing Opportunities for Innovation, E-Waste: They Deserve a Comeback Too and E-Waste: Shake Them Off Properly!

Week 4: Designing

During the fourth week, the students continued with the deliverables for the project. There was also a constant consultation with the teacher for the improvement of their designs.

Week 5: Preparation for Campaign and Showcasing
The students were on the final touches of the infographic. It was now time to prepare for the final showcasing. And since the campaign was campus-wide, the students planned out and prepared the campaign materials for their assigned classroom and offices.

10608721_541351406007658_7924523354728346032_o

Week 6: Showcasing
The students presented the final output in the class. In this phase, the infographics were not printed yet. The students showed on the screen their design and the other groups gave some comments. After the sharing time, the groups printed the infographics on poster papers.  It was time for their campaign.

IMG_9525

IMG_9504

Next week, on the third and final entry in this blog series, I will talk about the campaign experience of the students.

 

Comments

comments